[Usergroups] Outreach Advice

Tim Knapp duffyd at kokorice.org
Sat Mar 7 05:06:03 UTC 2009

Hi Chris,

Wow that was a monolith but a very useful one, thanks!!

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 16:54 -0500, Chris Calloway wrote:
<snip />

> 2) Don't ask for RSVPs. Your commitment as host is to show up and be
> there for whoever else shows up. Don't clutter you email list with
> RSVPs. Clutter it up with Plone instead. RSVPs make people feel like
> they have to RSVP in order to come. That's a blocker, not a helper. Many
> people won't even have the opportunity to decide to come to your meeting
> until right beforehand. They just have jobs or family situations that
> don't permit them to plan that far in advance for something as optional
> in their lives as a user group meeting.

I call for RSVPs for the express purpose of having a book draw on the
night as I've tried to get names on the night and its troublesome and
drawn out and I'd prefer to just run my (python) script and give away
the book, done, finito.

It also serves the dual purpose of giving me a record of the numbers
attending over time and who (please don't say I can do this on the
night, have you ever tried hosting/chairing the event and keeping track
of this kind of stuff - it just doesn't happen). Of course, anyone is
welcome to come on the night and they do; I've never seen it as an
inhibitor to people just turning up on the night.

<snip />

> Meeting at private companies is a no-no.

I can't say I entirely agree with this. We have a python group meeting
at a private company and thus far the topics have been varied and broad
and in no way influenced by the company hosting the event. The said
company is a very positive supporter of open source in NZ and is very
supportive of any open source activities and provides free
pizzas/drinks :)

-Tim