[Plone-UI] [Plone-developers] Plone Mosaic Sprint Barcelona June 10 - 13

Guido Stevens guido.stevens at cosent.net
Thu May 15 08:50:38 UTC 2014

On 14/05/14 19:05, Asko Soukka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just to catch up after missing the last PLOG...
>
> Are we using all the existing architecture in p.a.blocks, p.[a.]tiles
> and p.a.page
>
> or
>
> is something being / going to be reimplemented? (And for what reasons?)

Yes, and yes.

We'll certainly be using (parts of) blocks and tiles. I'm not too sure
about plone.app.page and the rest of the deco stack - but then I'm not
very familiar with that code base.

We're not going to "fix deco" or boil any other specific ocean.

What I propose is to take a fresh look at the layout/rendering patterns
we have and work from first principles, to come up with an evolutionary
approach that moves us towards a responsive grid layout engine, while
maintaining "good enough" backward compatibility.

That may well end up with a solution close to the original Deco vision.
It may also end up with a different mechanism that avoids whatever it
was that stalled Deco.

For me personally, this effort is shaped by a specific use case which is
less about an editor tweaking pages, and more about full personalization
and layout optimization driven by software algorithms. My hope is, that
this unconventional angle will contribute to discovering new and viable
approaches to page composition.

:*CU#
--
     Guido Stevens  |  +31.43.3618933  |  http://cosent.nl

     s o c i a l   k n o w l e d g e   t e c h n o l o g y