[Plone-UI] Folderish content PLIP

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Wed Jan 22 23:17:33 UTC 2014

Hi Hector,

As someone who has worked on collective.cover I was curious what your opinion on the draft PLIP was.
Specifically bringing in Tiles into Plone 5 but not introducing a layout or grid system. Allowing them just to be used like you'd insert an image into the visual editor.
My reasoning is
- It helps get rid of default pages which is a big UI win
- it gets us closer to deco
- but without fundamentally changing how content is edited or if a grid is required for all themes. Leaving that until later when we are more certain.
- it's ok to have portlets and tiles coexist. Particularly if we can build some kind of bridge between the two. It allows migration to occur.

BTW, David, you are right, we'd be better off creating a way for tiles to be used as portlets than visa versa. That would push more reimplementations of portlets to tiles which is what we would want. Having a way to use portlets as tiles would just delay people from changing their code. I don't think that would be hard to do. I'll add it to the PLIP.

Dylan Jay

---
www.pretagov.com - Secure SaaS for Government hosted locally.
P: +61-2-9955-2830  +44-87-0392-7071 | linkedin.com/in/djay75