[Plone-UI] display menu in the edit dialog

Nathan Van Gheem nathan at vangheem.us
Fri Feb 14 05:16:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:59 PM, Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com> wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2014, at 3:54 pm, Nathan Van Gheem <nathan at vangheem.us> wrote:
>
> > IMO, it should be renamed "Layout" and open an overlay. Additionally,
> "layouts" should be able to associated preview images with themselves to
> provide some general idea of what it's used for.
>
> If it opens an overlay then it's no longer a dropdown and then where does
> it go? Next to sharing?

Could even go before edit. Where it's placed it's a big deal. With the new
menu I'm not sure there needs to be a distinction between buttons that have
sub-menus and ones that do not. I'm not sure though. I'd need to look at it
more.

> > The edit form doesn't seem right to me.
>
> I didn't think so at first but it can radically change the how the item is
> presented which is different to things like sharing or changing state.
> With the example of a collection, it goes hand in hand with the metadata
> selection. It also has more in common with presentation mode setting etc.
> They could be moved togeather into a Layout tab, under editing perhaps?

Putting it into another tab goes too far. That means it'll take 3 clicks.
The overlay method is still only 2 clicks--just more explicit.

--
Nathan Van Gheem
Solutions Architect