[Plone-UI] how to fix "Not obvious how to edit/publish folder when it has a default page"?

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Thu Sep 26 05:11:10 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'll be leading a UX sprint after the upcoming conference. In addition to the current initiatives (toolbar, widgets and a new theme) I'd like to see if can come up with some ideas to fix some of the top problems from our UX hit-list.

#1 for editors is "Not obvious how to edit/publish folder when it has a default page"

This also seems related to
#3 "idea of default page is not obvious"
#19 "not obvious how to change url"
#24 "Navigation being tied to folder structure isn't obvious"

and to a lesser extent #7 "Not obvious display menu changes item + no way to preview"

I'd like to get as many ideas from anyone thats interested on how they think this could be solved. I'll take these to sprint and see what we come up with.

Ideas?

For context I believe in plone5 with the new dexterity content types all items will be folderish. I don't think the change means folders gain a rich text body field. It does mean that default pages become potentially more confusing since where does clicking "contents" take you to on a default page? the contents of the folder or the default page?

Dylan Jay

---
www.pretagov.com - Secure SaaS for Government hosted locally.
P: +61-2-9955-2830  +44-87-0392-7071 | linkedin.com/in/djay75