[Plone-UI] Folderish Page Proposal

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Tue Oct 8 20:55:11 UTC 2013

On 08/10/2013, at 4:32 PM, Nathan Van Gheem <nathan at vangheem.us> wrote:

> So starting this discussion back up, I don't like the idea of adding a display tab to the page type and getting rid of the collection type--I thinking solving a problem by creating another less bad problem.
>
> However, I really do like the idea of getting rid of default pages and having everything folderish.
>
> I'm inclined to say we push plone 5 with the current set of features we've already agreed on and then in plone 6, we move everything folders, get rid of collections and have a deco layout editor.
>
> If we just let the deco layout engine be applied to any type, it would also solve the default page issue.

It seems a shame that since we are going to break things with plone5 and we seem to mostly agree everything folderish (done right) solves lots of problems, that we don't explore more a stepping stone approach.

I'd like to look more at tinymcetiles since it is more flexible than the page-folder-collection merger but means we don't have to deal with grids in both backend and frontend when we're still not sure how that will work with a world where the frontend could include anything including another grid system.
Collections get converted to a tile on a page but we don't need to ship with many other tiles. We don't need to change how we do images for example.
We also don't need to change portlets yet or include the deco idea of saved layouts.
When you think about it, its almost the same as the proposal to merge collections and display into the page type, except that you can pick where in the page that listing goes, instead of it being at the bottom.

Although thinking about it more you still don't get rid of the display menu completely as what happens to plugins like solgema.calendar? They rely on being views on collections. I guess they would have to turn into a tile instead and include the query in their own configuration?

http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/collective.tinymcetiles/trunk/README.txt