[Plone-UI] Keeping things above the fold

Nathan Van Gheem nathan at vangheem.us
Tue Oct 8 04:00:08 UTC 2013

I agree that scrolling sucks especially in an overlay. However, howe

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Sean Upton <sdupton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm just imprinted from too many years in the newspaper
> business, but a term often used by design folks there is "above/below
> the fold".  For browser-based applications, that means "do you have to
> scroll to get to some necessary UI element".
>
> Scrolling is cool for elements already on the page, but not so much
> for pop-up menus, overlays, etc.
>
> This drives me mad in plone.app.search (types filter should be facet
> left navigation, not some kind of drop-down that is half-unusable!).

Sure, let's change it! I don't think anyone is sold on the drop down there.

> But I notice the same challenge in some of the drop-down overlays in
> the new folder contents / structure pattern in Plone Mockup (which
> otherwise looks really nice).
>
> Are there ways that folks running at 768 pixel screen height in a
> typical Plone 5 theme will be able to use these
> no-additional-page-load UI idioms without scrolling?  This need might
> be compounded by use on touch-screen devices.

I don't like scrolling in overlays--it's very difficult so we should try
the best we can to do without it.

I am on a laptop with 768px height and the new folder contents fits just
fine on my screen without scrolling as long as I don't increase the batch
size beyond what is default.

Thanks for the ping about this though. I think a lot of us are aware of the
potential issue here and we'll do our best to try to provide decent UI
concepts to make it the best possible. Some things are unavoidable and it's
difficult to get a perfect UI. We're just trying to make the best possible
we can with the effort we can apply.

Any help, ideas, etc are totally welcome! Thanks!

> I do note yet have any an
>

> Sean

Nathan Van Gheem
Solutions Architect