[Plone-UI] Folderish Page Proposal

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Sun Oct 6 04:05:38 UTC 2013

On 05/10/2013, at 11:57 PM, Nathan Van Gheem <nathan at vangheem.us> wrote:

> But don't people expect to be able to use default pages with other types besides pages? If I understand you correctly, we'd completely get rid of default pages and make everything folderish correct?

yep. so that means all addons would have to be folderish too. And an upgrade step would have to exist for existing p.a.contenttypes to make them folderish.

> I suppose if we move everything to folderish types, the major barrier to doing it is confusion with default pages.

yep

> People upgrading with custom types would then just need to know that they can no longer set default pages?

and they'd also have to have a migration tool to change existing instances base classes.

> This does solve some problems for us and make our content editing story easier.
>
> Have you talked to many content editors about this?

I think thats the point we're at now. How do we test this in a realistic way?

Given editing is not a linear thing it makes it hard to use mockups to test it.
All we could think of is implementing it and then release it, or putting it on a demo server to do some trials with it.

> Are there obvious scenarios we're forgetting about if we went this way?

Thats why Rob put it to the list :) We couldn't think of any.
the only obvious ones are things like PFG or other types that are already folderish but don't allow arbitary content. The whole idea of hard coding restrictions of a folderish content type as to what can go into it would have to go away.