[Plone-UI] Folderish Page Proposal

Rob Gietema rob at fourdigits.nl
Sun Oct 6 01:13:31 UTC 2013

> After a brainstorm the idea came up of getting rid completely of this
>> feature. The solution is to get rid of the "Collection"-type and add that
>> functionality to a page.
>>

> So, maybe this is moot, I don't know, but the idea was that collection
> listings should be tiles that you choose to insert in a page. I think we
> need to be very careful not to make pages this super-complicated uber-type
> that has every field ever. Adding all of collections as fields onto the
> Page type feels wrong to me.

This can be done using a "Collection"-behavior so not all fields on the
page type.

This proposal will simplify the ui a lot by getting rid of the display
>> menu, the select item as default view and collections as a type. Let us
>> have a discussion whether or not this proposal covers all usecases or not.
>>

> A long time ago, we created collective.tinymcetiles. This was a way to
> insert tiles into a non-Deco page using TinyMCE. I believe we also have a
> prototypical Collection tile. It feels more correct to me for "listings" to
> be something you can insert into a page (with body text around it, if
> necessary) than for this to be built into the template and fieldset of a
> type.

The reason for this proposal is that we take it one step at a time. Going
with tiles in Plone 5 is a step to far in my opinion. This solution is a
nice in between step for going to the "one contenttype to rule them all"
paradigm. We've all seen what happens when you take too many steps at once.

--
Rob