[Plone-UI] Plone 5 theme status

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Tue Oct 1 12:54:42 UTC 2013

On 01/10/2013, at 9:21 AM, Ramon Navarro Bosch <ramon.nb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some opinions,
>
> * The theme should be on coredev.buildout applied directly on the branches we have for all the packages on plone 5.
>
> * In my opinion the basic theme of plone is used a lot on people customization. I know that we rock and we are the coolest CMS in the world, but I have the feeling that using a more standard grid will make people more confortable on undestanding the basic theme and customizing it. For that reason I really think that we can loose a bit of lightweight and use another more used grid system.

+1

> * If p.a.widgets is included on plone 5 we should think about using it's js/css also on the theme for possible inputs on the website. On the same direction would be great to integrate the theme on mockups. I can work with rok on that idea.

Is there much in a public theme that uses widgets? Search is the only thing I can think of and I don't think we should be doing livesearch anymore on a public theme. It is a performance killer and almost no public site has this feature without serious consideration of the performance impact.
In some ways it would be good to showcase that the theme is separate from the plone editing UI and not use any of pa.widgets in the public theme.

> * Finally, the basic theme. At plone conference we've been discussing about the "native theme". If we are going to use diazo for themming, we could remove all css/js and change the main_template to return a more easy to parse on diazo structure. I plan to discuss this subject with framework team today and would be great to get all the feedback you can.

So you propose the out of the box theme be built on the same basic building block? ie not that there are two themes? I think this is an excellent idea.