[Plone-UI] [Plone-developers] Plone 5 Theme

David Glick (Plone) david.glick at plone.org
Thu Nov 21 18:06:24 UTC 2013

On 11/21/13, 9:56 AM, Dylan Jay wrote:

> On 21 Nov 2013 23:24, "André Nogueira"
> <andre at simplesconsultoria.com.br
> <mailto:andre at simplesconsultoria.com.br>> wrote:
> >
> > I know a lot of people that just use Plone as a framework.
> > Just edit one custom CSS file and transform the Frontend. No python
> > and no PHP too :) And no XML :)
> > This is the easyer and most important way to use Plone now
> >
> > To me, the basic steps for a new themer (for regular users not
> > advanced users) is:
> > 1. Clone the default DIazo theme
> > 2. Try to find and change the logo
> > 3. Try to make some CSS chances
> >
> > Newcommer and basic users will never create a Diazo theme from the
> > scracth. I dont see this action as a trivial action. Can be trivial
> > just for advanced front end developers
> >
> > To me, trown all the Front end responsability to custom diazo themes
> > could kill one of the Plone most important feature: Accessibility. We
> > really need a strong starting point for new themes and for small
> > customizations.
>
> I agree we need a good starting point for themes that want to start
> with a base plone theme.
> However I think the goal here is to decide  the base set of
> requirements that all themes must implement regardless if you base it
> on default theme.
>

> > To me, the only option to make plone more popular with the public you
> > are aiming, is to reach this 5 points:
> >
> > 1. One click install in production (something like Ploud or ready to
> > use droplet in digital ocean or similar players)
> > 2. A great number of high quality themes.
> > 3. Very easy way to customize this themes (change logo and base
> > colors). A editor based in LESS/SASS will be amazing.
> > 4. Very easy way to install addons
> > 5. very easy way to updat Plone and addons
> >
> > Only after that, Plone can become popular.
>
> I agree with you. This will make plone even more popular than what I
> suggest.
> However to get #2 you need a lot of web designers willing to create
> themes for plone. To do that we need to make it easy to implement a
> completely custom theme. So we need to think very carefully about what
> this base set of requirements are going to be for every plone theme.
> Perhaps to get this discussion back on track let's try and make that
> list of things every theme must include to work with base plone 5 plus
> common plugins.
> 1. Basic content styles. Eg header, call out, title
> 2. Side nav styles
> 3. Sitemap ? Or can we drop this?
> 4. Left and right portlet styles
> 5. ?
>
> Things we no longer need insist a theme includes
> - live search js and CSS
> - editing and toolbar
> - info/error boxes
> - floated document actions like print

We can achieve this by simply making sure it's easy to disable the
things that some people don't want to theme, right?

We already have a setting to toggle live search.

Sitemap and document actions are easy to disable in portal_actions,
although that's not particularly obvious. A Plone control panel for
managing actions would be good.

Status messages probably need to stay in many cases, but are easy enough
to drop using Diazo.