[Plone-UI] [Plone-developers] Plone 5 Theme

Johannes Raggam raggam-nl at adm.at
Tue Nov 19 01:36:24 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-11-18 at 14:02 -0800, David Glick (Plone) wrote:
> On 11/18/13, 4:13 AM, Ramon Navarro Bosch wrote:
> > Sorry for the cross-posting!
> >
> > I decided to write down my opinions after working at Arnhem sprint on
> > plone 5 theme, it's just a dump of what I have in mind :
> >
> > http://bloc.jardigrec.cat/2013/11/plone-5-theme-plonethemebarceloneta.html
> >
> > Go go go !
> >

> I think there's been a big thing missing from the discussion of
> plone.app.toolbar and isolating theme resources from Plone edit UI
> resources. That big thing is what it means for add-on authors: how can
> we make sure add-ons get a look and feel that fits with a site's custom
> theme?
>
> Some add-ons only change things in the edit UI, and they'll be fine. But
> what about add-ons that provide their own portlets or viewlets, or a
> custom template that renders in the content area? These are common.
>
> Currently in Plone there is a de facto "standard library" of markup
> available to add-on authors. You can get an idea of what's included in
> this if you look at /test_rendering on a Plone 3 or Plone 4 site. As an
> add-on developer, I don't have to spend time on CSS or work with a
> designer, because I know what markup to use for a portlet or an alert
> message or a form, and can expect that all Plone themes will provide
> styles for that markup. This idea of a markup library is similar to
> Twitter Bootstrap, only ours has evolved organically over time rather
> than being carefully designed.
>
> We can decide to change this library of markup patterns for Plone 5
> (switch to Bootstrap, perhaps), if we want. But we can't stop having a
> library available altogether. The result would be that
> 1. Add-on authors have to spend time writing their own CSS
> 2. Different add-ons will not have a consistent look and feel
> 3. Themers will need to spend time overriding the styles for each
> addon's markup, rather than merely implementing styles for the standard
> markup

I agree, we have to ship with a "library" of styles for default Plone
elements.

IMO, the current plonetheme.sunburst styles are way to immersive.
Diazo's vision can't be met easily - having a designer delivering a
"dummy" HTML/CSS theme and using this right away without any. The
changes I introduced with plonetheme.sunburst help a bit but it could be
better, like having better namespaces.

Is there any document, which describes, what the building blocks of a
Plone theme are? Or is plonetheme.sunburst our only organically evolved
documentation? Then, I guess, we'd have to reverse engineer this to find
out what styles we need to provide for addons.

Maybe we should start all over and really use Twitter bootstrap as a
foundation for our themes? There is a risk, that all websites will look
the same. But in it's essence, Twitter Bootstrap just gives us a better
default set of the browser's "Basic Page Style". And on top of that, any
design can be build.