[Plone-UI] [Plone-developers] Plone 5 Theme

Nathan Van Gheem nathan at vangheem.us
Mon Nov 18 15:54:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Timo Stollenwerk <tisto at plone.org> wrote:

> Am 18.11.2013 16:23, schrieb Ramon Navarro Bosch:
> > Mainly for two reasons:
> >
> > * In most of our use cases the client prefers no modals ( there is a lot
> > of content edition and they love to see the edit and the view with the
> > same skin )
>
> + 100

> Not having a separation between backend and frontend has always been one
> of the biggest selling points of the Plone UI. As far as I can tell
> other CMSes are trying to get rid of that separation for a good reason.

which ones? Others are doing the contextual editing finally but, if they
mix editing, they'll just end up getting the same theming nightmare we have.

> We are about to go into the opposite direction "to make theming easier"
> (which was the original point of p.a.toolbar if I recall correctly).
> Though, according to Ramon and what I saw so far theming will become
> more complicated with p.a.toolbar.

It's not more complicated to theme with plone.app.toolbar. It might be more
difficult to theme the backend...

> > * In most of our use cases the client needs specific edit forms (skinned
> > and layout) so it's common that we need to skin also the backend and the
> > edit forms layout.
>
> Same here. Right now I can't imaging to use p.a.toolbar/modals (again)
> for my customer projects (for UI as well as technical reasons that I
> pointed out before) and I would really like to see a Plone 5 where I'm
> not forced to use overlays.

Wow, yikes. Are you sure these customers just aren't too used to the old
plone way of doing things? Have you tested this on new customers?

So what you're saying is that we should maintain backend css in our themes
still and then also maintain all the toolbar, modals, etc. Sounds like a
really bad idea.

> Cheers,
> Timo

Nathan Van Gheem