[Plone-UI] [Plone-developers] Plone 5 Theme

Ramon Navarro Bosch ramon.nb at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 15:23:52 UTC 2013

Mainly for two reasons:

* In most of our use cases the client prefers no modals ( there is a lot of
content edition and they love to see the edit and the view with the same
skin )
* In most of our use cases the client needs specific edit forms (skinned
and layout) so it's common that we need to skin also the backend and the
edit forms layout.

So in these cases I don't see any adventage of using ajax modal forms vs
native edit forms. Maybe I'm wrong, it's just my opinion!. Don't
missunderstand me, I'm sure that for normal edition or low budgets webs
ajax/iframe/modal toolbar is great!

2013/11/18 Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com>

> On 18 Nov 2013, at 11:13 pm, Ramon Navarro Bosch <ramon.nb at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the cross-posting!
> >
> > I decided to write down my opinions after working at Arnhem sprint on
> plone 5 theme, it's just a dump of what I have in mind :
> >

> http://bloc.jardigrec.cat/2013/11/plone-5-theme-plonethemebarceloneta.html
>
> "The toolbar idea is to have a backend and a frontend that makes skining
> frontend really easy. The idea is great and uses a lot of js/iframe magik
> to do it. It's were we must go to compete with CMS with separate frontend
> and backend. In my opinion, I love the way is it now regarthless it's much
> harder to implement the skin. For this reason I think that ajax-toolbar
> should be optional."
>
> Can you explain your reasoning here? You seem to be saying separation is
> good but you don't want it. Why?
> If we have to make the toolbar non-isolated it makes it 10 times harder
> than it already is.
>

> > Go go go !
> >
> > Ramon
> >

> > 2013/11/15 Asko Soukka <asko.soukka at iki.fi>
> > Johannes Raggam wrote:
> > > fixing tests is a massive amount of effort, tough. we should find a
> > > strategy how to fix this.
> >
> > Briefly about robot tests. I think, we agreeded here that the current
> > robot tests in CMFPlone for Plone 5 can be disabled until all the lower
> > level tests pass.
> >
> > We are still in process of learning the correct way and style of writing
> > robot tests and CMFPlone's are not yet there and require rewrite (but as
> > they have been written by developers learning robot in sprints, it has
> > been important for our testing skills in common).
> >
> > We did not yet fully agree, where robot tests should be eventually
> > located and how could be make them re-usable with custom themes. Still
> > things to try and learn.
> >
> > We write an few example robot suites in p.a.multilingual to be an
> > example of what we currently think as a good robot tests:
> >

> https://github.com/plone/plone.app.multilingual/blob/master/devel/plone/app/multilingual/tests/robot/test_translate_content.robot
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Asko

> > --