[Plone-UI] Review on content finder widget

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Mon Jan 21 05:14:43 UTC 2013

On 18/01/2013, at 8:10 PM, Roché Compaan <roche at upfrontsystems.co.za> wrote:

> Hi Nathan
>
> Thanks, this is great feedback.
>
> I think we need a repo for the JS only part that's reusable outside
> plone, maybe simply call the repo contentfinder.js?

I think thats a good idea to keep the js as a standalone package, however how do we make it a dependency of p.a.widgets without it being an egg? We'd have to use git sub-packages or something, which isn't something plone normally uses.
Normally Plone packages solve this by using stable js packages and just copying the js in as a resource.

Maybe a more pragmatic approach is to start with the js in p.a.widgets while it's still immature. That way it can easily be improved without worrying about dependency tracking. Once the js reaches a point of maturity, it can be copied out to it's own package and then p.a.widgets could track it's progress from there.
I think p.a.widgets is a good first customer of the js code since we can start by using for referencefields but then use it for keyword fields too and then eventually use it as a general content browser.