[Plone-UI] Placeless Adding help needed

Jon Stahl jonstahl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 03:12:34 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com> wrote:

> On 21/02/2013, at 12:35 PM, Jon Stahl <jonstahl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dylan-
>>
>> You know, I've had this use case and very successfully solved it with
>> just a simple content rule to "move all items of type X to WHERE THEY
>> BELONG."  Users can create those content types anywhere, but then
>> poof, they magically go to the place they're supposed to be as soon as
>> they hit save.
>

> Hey nice solution. I hadn't thought of that.
> Does have two downsides
> a) The user has no prior indication that clicking add News Item will result in it being moved after they add it.

Yup, I've always addressed this with training/documentation. You could
probably inline some help into a custom content type's field
description.

> b) Edge case but what if there were 2 places type X could go?

Not an edge case I've had to handle, thankfully. If you needed to let
user choose, this wouldn't work. If it could be determined by code,
custom content rule would work.

:jon