[Plone-UI] Placeless Adding help needed

Nathan Van Gheem vangheem at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 01:56:55 UTC 2013

First off, let me just say, I feel your pain. We've had users have a
difficult time knowing where to add. Those same users will most likely have
a difficult time managing content with large sites on any system though.
Plone's folder structure is a pretty nature way to organize content;
however, we do need to think of ways to make it better.

With that, I'll say a few thoughts here as I'm on both the UI and Framework
team:

- The implementation described makes the UI more complicated and actually
requires the user to think more.
- There are already other ways to solve this problem. One being what Jon
just described, another by creation your own custom factory urls
- The global add concept still seems awkward. How do you set which types
have that ability and are there default locations they add to? Can there be
multiple add locations?
- Because of some of these points, it seems like this is more, at least at
this point, an integrator level problem--there are ways to solve it and
they can be addressed by integrators.
- https://github.com/plone/plone.app.contentmenu/issues/2 provides another
way to add additional "add new" menu items.
- This is definitely a plip where it's better to first implement it as an
addon so we can see it working somehow first before we accept the
implementation.

- One last thing, if we ever get a more robust folder contents or
"structure" menu where we can globally manage content for plone in a better
way, this might be less of a problem

So, with all that being said, let's not end the discussion here. Perhaps,
we just need to work through a difficult solution.

-Nathan