[Plone-UI] Dexterity UX notes from Emerald Sprint

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Tue Feb 19 03:10:00 UTC 2013

On 19/02/2013, at 10:32 AM, David Glick (Plone) <david.glick at plone.org> wrote:

> Hi Plone UI team,
> I wanted to call your attention to the summary Alice Tseng wrote up of our UX planning activities that we did at the Emerald Sprint a week ago: http://www.coactivate.org/projects/emerald-sprint/wikis/default-wiki/user-experience-summary

Some great thinking here. Wish I had been there to participate. Awesome to have so many people concerned and skilled in user centered development in one room.

Here's my initial thoughts on those notes

Who are the Dexterity Users?
---------------------------------------
"Querying members, it was clear that it would be a mid-level experienced Plone user (as it is in the site admin panel)"

This is really important point. I think Plone is in an transitional phases where it's starting to be possible to do serious things TTW (again). This means that currently those around now use the filesystem but give it 2 years, this could be very different. For example the first zope app I built was entirely ttw and that introduced me to zope/plone. TTW makes Plone more accessible to those with less existing knowledge such as no ZPT or no python skills. AGX has a similar affect. We should be thinking about the future where TTW developers outnumber file-system developers 2-3 times.
As such we need to be careful about relying on surveys of existing developers. We are very different people that those that I train to use diazo and dexterity TTW.
For example "it would be useful to survey current Dexterity developer-users to see if they would consider using the TTW as a communication/prototyping tool;" ... my experience is that most of use developers used to fs development are negative on TTW development, or at least come it from a different angle completely for someone who only has TTW available to them and doesn't want to train in fs development.

TTW Behaviours confusing

This is something that has also bothered me for awhile.
I think a user has to see what fields a behaviour adds before it adds them. and if a behaviour adds no fields then this should also be obvious. They should be able to see where fields are inserted in the order, if fields are inserted.
However this is technically very hard since behaviours can do almost anything they want to the schema, including rearranging fields.

One way around this is we could have a new kind of behaviours. A field set. It's like a behaviour in that you can reuse it amoung many content types. The difference is it only does one thing, and thats and a single block of fields to a certain location in the schema. So it's a reusable mini schema. They could be editable via the web, and once you edit them, the changes are reflected in any content type that uses that fieldset. Plone could come preinstalled with many fieldsets such as "dates" "contributors" "events" etc.

These TTW fieldsets might not replace behaviours but work along side them. They could be special case behaviours that use a different TTW UI for adding them to a schema. For example you could have a fieldset being dragged into a schema like you can with a single field.

End user testing

We're prepared to try and involve some of our customers who we're encouraging to use dexterity in this kind of testing.  That isn't many people because you can't really do much with TTW dexterity right now (unlike diazo).