[Plone-UI] Folderish content PLIP

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Wed Dec 11 03:45:56 UTC 2013

On 11 Dec 2013, at 9:42 am, Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com> wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2013 06:46, "David Glick (Plone)" <david.glick at plone.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/10/13, 6:43 AM, Dylan Jay wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm working on a folderish content plone5 PLIP to put together the ideas discussed up to now and try and get more support.
> >>
> >> https://docs.google.com/a/pretaweb.com/document/d/1jJ7765rW-CpdOhKR6o4hFaOzQk6xmuePFZd-zTzxwFE/edit?pli=1#
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>

> > This is quite a large development task that hasn't been started yet. I'm not comfortable with adding it to the scope of Plone 5, as I think adding it would delay Plone 5 by at least half a year, at best.
> Yes I agree. On the other hand its also a very backwards incompatible change but one with large usability benefit. Do we want a plone 6 release 6 months after plone 5?
> However unless we get more support to get this started now we don't have a choice.

Alternatively we could target it for having a quick plone 6 after plone 5 and warn people there will be another backwards compatible upgrade coming soon?
I really don't think we should wait for removing viewlets and portlets though. I don't think it's clear at this stage that what was proposed for page layouts in deco would work in practice. I suspect we might end up replacing viewlets with something akin to tiles placed via diazo rules, ie under themer control. Portlets I'm not sure about. We could potentially allow tiles to be added as portlets as a way to transition? Then rethink how portlets work later? Portlets have lots of issues we'd need to address like that they don't have workflow, working copy support, sharing permissions etc. These things weren't really covered by the deco layout proposals.