[Plone-UI] new content finder review

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Thu Nov 29 14:04:07 UTC 2012

On 29/11/2012, at 7:53 PM, Denys Mishunov <denys.mishunov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> The widget is nice and helpful. I just have some comments if you don't mind me participating ;)
>
> On Nov 28, 2012, at 11:29 PM, Nathan Van Gheem [via Plone] wrote:
>
>> - Delete/remove item only via "x" on list of items--not by clicking the item again
>
> This is the way to do it but only in case the list is not as wide as it is today, as Dylan points out. The list is way too wide now. I don't see any problem with the list being shorter than the field itself to accommodate only the item + space + "x".
>
>> - get rid of double click(2 hit targets)
>
> Oh, this double click was very not obvious. Was wondering how I should get into a folder myself. Double click works in OS applications (not even in all of them), but on the web I think it is unexpected. Read my other comment about folder contents below.
>
>>   - Default click behavior on a row is to select item
>
> Agree.
>
>>   - on folders, on hover, show button to the right to be able to navigate inside of the folder
>
> I don't think showing a button to the right is an optimal solution (even though it might work as well). Usually people hover over the left side of a list (or at least the center of it) in the cultures reading from left to right. Hence it would be more comfortable to make the space occupied by the 'folder' icon clickable. Than on ':hover' swap the folder icon with some other that would indicate that one can get into the folder's content. So, people would be able to hover over the list and dive into a folder's content with as little gestures as possible.

What if we made it like an iphone. Not so wide, and on the right but a arrow to indicate it can be opened. Left half to select and right half to open, no hover. I know it's repition but only for folders, not all items and iphone users seem used to it. Oh and the sliding animation ala github and iphone :)

>> - If user searches for results, the result should include the path to the item so the user knows where it's coming from.
>
> I am not ure I understand how one is searching in this field – this doesn't work for me. Is it by typing in a search criteria and then pressing "Enter"? The best way to do this would be what Google does with suggestions of course – attach JS event to listen to the field's change (while typing) and then dynamically update the results. But I assume results update might be quite slow.
>
> Another thing that would be great to have here is the keyboard navigation. This is of a lesser priority, but once I get the list of the results I would like to be able to navigate through the list with the keyboard. But then the question is how the selection happens (logically would be to attach it to 'Enter' press) and "dive into the folder". The second might be ignored when navigating with keyboard I guess. But navigating the current list with the keyboard would be a nice touch.

+1. I think with the sliding navigation a "right arrow" key to open should work. Otherwise it would have to open enter to open and space to select.