[Plone-UI] new content finder review

Roché Compaan roche at upfrontsystems.co.za
Thu Nov 29 10:45:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Denys Mishunov
<denys.mishunov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> The widget is nice and helpful. I just have some comments if you don't mind
> me participating ;)

Not at all, thanks for your comments.

> On Nov 28, 2012, at 11:29 PM, Nathan Van Gheem [via Plone] wrote:
>
> - Delete/remove item only via "x" on list of items--not by clicking the item
> again
>

> This is the way to do it but only in case the list is not as wide as it is
> today, as Dylan points out. The list is way too wide now. I don't see any
> problem with the list being shorter than the field itself to accommodate
> only the item + space + "x".
>
> - get rid of double click(2 hit targets)
>

> Oh, this double click was very not obvious. Was wondering how I should get
> into a folder myself. Double click works in OS applications (not even in all
> of them), but on the web I think it is unexpected. Read my other comment
> about folder contents below.
>
>   - Default click behavior on a row is to select item
>

> Agree.
>
>   - on folders, on hover, show button to the right to be able to navigate
> inside of the folder
>

> I don't think showing a button to the right is an optimal solution (even
> though it might work as well). Usually people hover over the left side of a
> list (or at least the center of it) in the cultures reading from left to
> right. Hence it would be more comfortable to make the space occupied by the
> 'folder' icon clickable. Than on ':hover' swap the folder icon with some
> other that would indicate that one can get into the folder's content. So,
> people would be able to hover over the list and dive into a folder's content
> with as little gestures as possible.

One can try but I'm concerned about the jitter the image swap will
cause when you move the mouse up and down over search results. I think
we should make more than one prototype and test how people interact
with it.

> - If user searches for results, the result should include the path to the
> item so the user knows where it's coming from.
>

> I am not ure I understand how one is searching in this field – this doesn't
> work for me. Is it by typing in a search criteria and then pressing "Enter"?

This hasn't been implement in the prototype yet.

> The best way to do this would be what Google does with suggestions of course
> – attach JS event to listen to the field's change (while typing) and then
> dynamically update the results. But I assume results update might be quite
> slow.
>
> Another thing that would be great to have here is the keyboard navigation.
> This is of a lesser priority, but once I get the list of the results I would
> like to be able to navigate through the list with the keyboard. But then the
> question is how the selection happens (logically would be to attach it to
> 'Enter' press) and "dive into the folder". The second might be ignored when
> navigating with keyboard I guess. But navigating the current list with the
> keyboard would be a nice touch.
>
> And while we are at it, I am ready to help with anything you need help with
> (JS, CSS, discussions) in relation to this widget ;)

Thanks for the offer! If you want to add the search functionality or
some keyboard navigation to the prototype you're more than welcome.
This will give us an opportunity to test switching between search and
browse.

--
Roché Compaan
Upfront Systems                   http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za