[Plone-UI] [Framework-Team] PLIP 12227: In-Plone Theme Editor

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 11:22:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

Ok, so some answers here. I still need to digest Denys' comments.

First off, I think the mockup is great. :)

On 8 March 2012 10:44, Ramon Navarro Bosch <ramon.nb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've shown it to our designers in order to recive feedback, they said to me
> :
>
> * It's now understable how the mapper works, the feeling that you can choose
> the elements on content and theme makes you feel that you can assign rules
> only saving the elements and is not easy to understand.
>
> * One suggestion they made is  not showing the rules files by default, just
> show the new rules button, then the two screens of origin-theme , with the
> result at the end and a option of where you want to store the new rule ( a
> list of levels on the rule's xml so you decide to add it on the
> visual-wrapper, ... any other point.

I think it makes sense to show it at the bottom. I am nervous about
hiding it. The Diazo rules syntax is sufficiently flexible that any
scheme to hide this could lead to unexpected behaviour, even broken
themes, with little or no ability for the user to understand.

Making it possible to build themes entirely through point-and-click is
a laudable goal. However, it's going to need to be the next version of
this, and Diazo itself will likely need to evolve somewhat for this to
be possible in a safe way. The mapper is there to *help* you build the
theme, not take away all need to understand Diazo. That's also why we
put in the inline help.

> * The option to add the rule with conditional

We could add this as text input, maybe, but I don't know how to make a
UI for all the different types of conditions. It also gets complex
because you'd often put conditions on a nested <rules /> element.
Again, this is where you as a themer need to have some understanding
of how Diazo works and make some choices about how you structure your
rules. A system like Plone - and most static web designs - are simply
too complex to make simple point-and-click anything more than a neat
technology demo.

> * On the new rule option should be a first option of which kind of rule, new
> static file, ...

What is 'new static file'?

> * There should be an option to see the rules file ( that is on the editor )
> so people dont' get messed with it.

Maybe an option to temporarily hide it? Or having it appear minimized
but opening when necessary? I want to make it quite clear that there
is that file there, and that the file is very important to how the
theme works.

Martin