[Plone-UI] PLIP 12227: In-Plone Theme Editor

Elaine Blakeman elaine at ssc.ucla.edu
Wed Jun 27 00:07:49 UTC 2012

Yes, I agree to graying or deactivating as a solution. I would still like to know on the front page when you click "Back to Control Panel" then click "manage themes" tab -- where you get the table of themes that has the columns: "Title, Description, Actions" -- I would like to know here what I am dealing with -- a filesystem theme or a zip format theme. Right now, there is no explicit difference except the zip file has a check box and filesystem themes do not. Can we add a column that says "Theme Type" and maybe something in that row that says "Filesystem Theme (You cannot modify the theme using theme mapper with this type of theme) and "Zipped Format Theme" for each corresponding type of theme? Not sure of the exact verbiage.

Will try to do a mock-up if this is not clear what I mean. I am just emphasizing this point because I watched our group members struggle with this. We thought the tool was "buggy". We didn't realize it was intentional and we certainly didn't see the relationship between the two types of themes and the theme mapper.

~Elaine

Elaine Blakeman
UCLA Social Sciences Computing
PAB 2041 (Public Affairs Building)
Web and Multimedia Development
Elaine at ssc.ucla.edu<mailto:Elaine at ssc.ucla.edu>
310-206-1524

On Jun 26, 2012, at 4:15 PM, alicetseng wrote:

Hi folks,

> This bounced due to the attachment.
> See: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5750104/plone.app.theming%20mockups%20round%202.pdf
> Martin

Great productive exchanges going on on this. Very quickly — just a quick head's up. I'm wrapping up my business trip today and then will be in transit …
will catch up on detailed responses when I get back home tomorrow morning.

RE: the issues with UI consistency to functions …
>  - In readonly mode (i.e. for filesystem themes), the mapper doesn't
> have the rules file at all, only the mockup + content, a preview link,
> and the rules wizard, which then doesn't do insert. Need explicit
> verbage to explain this, of course.

I think it's a safer idea to grey out and deactivate any buttons when there are functions not available to a user.
I think it's best to keep them there (i.e. don't remove them — this is just as confusing -- makes me think there's a bug all of a sudden). Instead, visually show they are deactivated.
Keep the interface identical, but de-active buttons when functions are not available. Then add a "info" icon link ( a phrase like "why can't I use this?" -- if there is room — otherwise
an icon that conveys the sam idea that leads directly to a clear explanation of why.

Hope this helps,
Alice