[Plone-UI] PLIP 12227: In-Plone Theme Editor

alicetseng atseng at it.ucla.edu
Tue Jun 26 23:15:26 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

> This bounced due to the attachment.
> See: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5750104/plone.app.theming%20mockups%20round%202.pdf
> Martin

Great productive exchanges going on on this. Very quickly — just a quick head's up. I'm wrapping up my business trip today and then will be in transit …
will catch up on detailed responses when I get back home tomorrow morning.

RE: the issues with UI consistency to functions …
>  - In readonly mode (i.e. for filesystem themes), the mapper doesn't
> have the rules file at all, only the mockup + content, a preview link,
> and the rules wizard, which then doesn't do insert. Need explicit
> verbage to explain this, of course.

I think it's a safer idea to grey out and deactivate any buttons when there are functions not available to a user.
I think it's best to keep them there (i.e. don't remove them — this is just as confusing -- makes me think there's a bug all of a sudden). Instead, visually show they are deactivated.
Keep the interface identical, but de-active buttons when functions are not available. Then add a "info" icon link ( a phrase like "why can't I use this?" -- if there is room — otherwise
an icon that conveys the sam idea that leads directly to a clear explanation of why.

Hope this helps,
Alice