[Plone-UI] PLIP 12227: In-Plone Theme Editor

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 07:21:07 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 26 June 2012 02:44, alicetseng <atseng at it.ucla.edu> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
>> I did wonder if maybe we have a consistent mechanism for preview in both
>> file manager and mapper that is basically a preview pane that you can roll
>> up or down (probably
>> starting rolled up). So, you click "preview" and it opens a panel under
>> the rules editor with an iframe preview, but you can hide it again by
>> rolling that panel back up.
>>
>>Too fiddly?
>
> Funny you were to ask that … I was able to meet with Elaine this afternoon
> and we talked through the wireframes and bounced some ideas around. She and
> Dave both mentioned the jsFiddle Interface as providing some models to
> solving many of the 4 window issues we're talking about (Elaine and Dave are
> 2 folks who are a part of the work-group at UCLA).
> http://jsfiddle.net/
>
> Is this type of pull tab window-resizing something that is doable for the
> File Manager / Theme Mapper Modes?

It's worth looking into, certainly. It's not quite as easy since we
use the ACE editor, but I'll see what I can do.

> We played around with it this afternoon (they both use this tool a lot) and
> it achieves having the 4 windows always present but allowing the user to be
> able to decide at any given moment which window is the primary context and
> thereby recovering the space one needs. Also quite nice is how clean the
> simple pull tabs are (actually using the white-space) and all the actions
> off-loaded to the left and top bars. I can see the left column being used
> for function buttons as well as the file tree with the main window fairly
> clean. With the pull tabs, you'll not really need the launch full-screen
> buttons as much …

I think I'd need to see (or make) a wireframe of how this would work
with the functions in the theming control panel to understand whether
it would work, though I see your point.

> On another note (related to my earlier post re Ajax bugs) we also noticed a
> few very subtle issues that (so subtle — I didn't even realize what I was
> looking at) when looking at the Mapper using a "zip imported" vs. a
> "file-system" built theme. Elaine will post more about as she has a better
> handle on describing it than I do — but thought I introduce her first.

Great, thank you!

Martin