[Plone-UI] PLIP 12227: In-Plone Theme Editor

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 12:41:14 UTC 2012

Hi Alice,

This is great - thank you!

I have a couple of comments/question on your wireframes:

 - I see text annotations (yellow boxes corresponding to the red numbers on
the wireframe) in the PDF on the first slide, but not subsequent ones. Is
that intentional or has something gone wrong?

 - Would it be better if help was an overlay rather than a separate tab?
This would allow it to be called up from multiple pages (mapper, file
manager as well as control panel), and maybe feel a bit less like switching
back and forth between help view and the control panel proper.

 - It may be quite hard to do a theme preview in an efficient,
cross-browser way. I'll investigate. Do you think it might work to use the
same basic layout on the control panel home page, but without a preview,
just title/description?

 - Drag-and-drop for theme activation is cool, but in case we can't make it
work easily, is an explicit button action on the tile for each theme OK?

 - Are you happy with the file preview at the bottom of the file manager
tree/edit panes? It doesn't appear in the wireframes. Note: you need to
open an HTML file to see it.

 - In the theme mapper wireframes, where does the rules editor go?

 - Are you sure you'd like preview in the rules mapper to be an explicit
action (preview button)? Personally I'd prefer it in a panel underneath the
rules file editor (as on the file manager), or possibly as something to
open in a new window/tab. Otherwise, it's always two clicks: edit the rules
file, then click preview, close the preview, then edit again. Right now, it
syncs the preview with the content you're viewing in the 'unthemed content'
pane and reloads the preview automatically on save, which seems more
efficient to me.

Cheers,
Martin