[Plone-UI] PLIP 12227: In-Plone Theme Editor

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 09:01:29 UTC 2012

Hi,

Thanks for this - really glad to see so much detail! I'm really
impressed you did this much research and it's incredibly valuable.
Thank you!

I see some specific feedback, so let me ask some follow-ups:

1. The organization of the Tabs could use more work

Which 'tabs' are we talking about?

2. The “Theme Mapper” layout needs to be minimized in windows and
maximized in available space to work in.

Can you be a bit more specific about this?

3. Some of the Function buttons create confusion (placement, icons, and labels)

Which buttons, specifically?

4. Issues with Ajax behavior and bugs contributed to less than ideal
interaction experience

That's a shame - could you clarify which bugs you've found?

5. The grouping and steps for functions/tasks could be streamlined

Can you be more specific?

6. The first panel view on launch needs work to help a user get
started: better and more plainly instructive defaults; re-thought to
map to users’ main goals.

So, on all of these, I can guess at what the specific issues may have
been, but I feel what we need to take this forward is a set of
actionable suggestions, e.g. as annotated wireframes or screen
composites. Some of this is in the detailed feedback in each survey
(Thanks!), but I am not sure how to translate those into actual
changes without it feeling a bit like trial-and-error.

We tried to get some mockups once - Denys had a go at unifying the two
tabs. I tried to implement that, and whilst some of the specific ideas
were actionable, the overall approach did not work in practice (see
detailed notes on the PLIP ticket in Trac).

If, as you suggest, you (or someone else) can try to come up with
specific ideas that someone can then translate to real Plone
code/templates, we can get somewhere, I think. I'm just not really
skilled enough on the UI front to read the feedback above and then go
"aha, so it needs to work like *this*".

Are you willing to try to do that (as indeed you suggested in the
feedback)? I think that'd be incredibly valuable.

Martin