[Plone-UI] Nested collection removal in Plone 4.0/4.2

Timo Stollenwerk lists at zmag.de
Tue Jun 12 05:18:53 UTC 2012

Am 11.06.2012 15:24, schrieb Nathan Van Gheem:
> I can see the use-case for nested collections and think I used them
> myself in the past also but I also see how it might seem a little
> silly to have collections as a container.

Whenever I used nested collections in the past it was to model some kind
of taxonomy in Plone. The sub-collections always listed only a subset of
the parent collection. This is also true for the "past events"
collection that we used to have in the default Plone content.

If this is the only use-case for nested collections, maybe we are trying
to solve a problem (taxonomy) with the wrong tool (collections).

> Perhaps the best way to accomplish this is with a behavior that allows
> you to extend an existing collection?

We could refactor the current collection type into a behavior. This
would allow us to "attach" the collection functionality to whatever
basis-type we want (folderish or not). Is that what you mean? If we
extend the collection type with a sub-collection behavior we will not be
able to have nested collections on more than one level.

Cheers,
timo