[Plone-UI] PLIP 12227: In-Plone Theme Editor

Tseng-Planas, Alice atseng at it.ucla.edu
Mon Jul 2 17:56:04 UTC 2012

Hi Martin and folks,

Sorry for the delay-- was playing catch up with a bunch of paperwork at my
work following my business trip.

>This may be useful if you are building the theme on the filesystem and
>want to use the rule builder and highlighter to figure out what rules
>to use, but you can't actually modify anything.
>
>It is also currently the only way you get a preview without applying
>the theme (although that'll change soon).
>
>I appreciate this probably isn't obvious. :) Suggestions?

OK. So this explanation is clear to me now, but in agreement with Elaine,
when just looking/playing with the interface I was very confused as I
didn't realize these differences between the 2 types of themes-- and
frankly I thought the app was broken/buggy.

I think generally it would be great to disable all actions that aren't
possible (grey them out). And to provide a link that explains the
difference. I think what you have explained above makes sense once you
know it ... But until then (to the uninitiated) this is unclear.
A simple deep link to the help page on this topic will suffice.

If possible, it would be great that the example theme is one that is
editable ... this would make it less confusing as the new user could at
least do everything right off the bat.

>Once we've completed this work, I was going to ask: Would you and your
>team be interested in playing this type of test/UI review/UI
>suggestion role for other Plone proposals/beta software? I think the
>value-add is immense, and it's something we've been wanting to make
>happen for a long time.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Perhaps we can just approach this from
the same ad-hoc manner? If other Plone devs have needs they can reach out
on this Plone UI like you did with your call for help? I can't really
commit this group to anything outside of Diazo -- as this workgroup is
specifically for UCLA Web Designers using Plone who want to learn more
about Diazo. Even then ... I can't really commit anyone's time other than
my own. Everyone is volunteering their time as peers (many from different
departments) -- I have no authority over folks ... :) If you have anything
specific in mind, just let me know and I can ping folks to see what their
interest level is.

Let us know if you need anything else from us to move forward on this
PLIP. It's been great for us to participate and we look forward to seeing
the improvements.

Cheers!
Alice