[Plone-UI] Where should manage-portlets links show to? #12211

Patrick Gerken do3ccqrv at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:15:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 16:17, Nathan Van Gheem <vangheem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
> Apologies for the delayed response.
> I personally think the current behavior is the best and most consistent and
> would prefer not changing it. I have clients that always put the portlets on
> the default view differently than on the folder(if the folder even gets
> them). My point is that the workflow and application of portlets changes
> between how people use and abuse their plone sites and our current behavior
> is consistent with how the "edit" button works.
> Perhaps if you want an easier way for your clients to manage the Plone site
> portlets(global portlets) you create a user action button?

Hi,

its not for a customer who is confused. We are preparing a beginners
training for the german python conference, and adding a portlet to the
whole site contains these steps at the moment:

x. Click on Manage Portlets
x. Click on the link in the warning that you are managing the portlets
to get to the Portlet Management for the site.

There is no way to get to the manage-portlets view of the site without
clicking on a warning, and that feels awkward.
Regarding the consistency with the edit link, that feels a bit
superficial, the edit link is in a whole different group of links than
the manage-portlets links.

I do not need the old behavior back, I just feel that having to go
through warnings to get to the place you want to be is wrong, I'd
already be happy if I have a good reply for the question, "Why do I
have to click on the warning" and I am not convinced of the answer I
have so far.

Best regards,

       Patrick