[Plone-UI] UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 07:13:15 UTC 2011

On 13 September 2011 07:42, Nathan Van Gheem <vangheem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Few thoughts:
>
> Since we're actually trying to do a full-fledge Diazo IDE here, we might
> need to go about this a bit differently and we might end up with more of a
> custom js solution than just integrating a file manager and ACE editor.

I hope we can do this incrementally. I want a PLIP that can go into 4.3, and
if that just has a file manager + syntax highlighting editor + the other
improvements to the controlpanel, then that's still an important step
forward. If we can evolve that towards more
debugging/testing/point-and-click type features, all the better, but let's
not make the interim goal slip because we have a bigger goal.

> Lawrence, I created a mockup to what I think you might be asking for. Maybe
> we should get a consensus on how we want this to look and work before go too
> far down the wrong path.

I like it! We may want to consider having a way to preview images though.

> How this could work is that the preview uses the un-saved changes so you
> can see what it'll look like without it affecting the live site.

Let's do the basic file management/editing first and then the preview.

I also think we should make sure this works in a full-width control panel
(hide both columns), but we can then turn it into a full-screen affair later
if we need to.

Martin