[Plone-UI] UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:10:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 12 September 2011 15:34, Laurence Rowe <l at lrowe.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11 September 2011 22:58, Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Currently, these two views are separate. When you edit an in-ZODB theme
> in the p.a.theming control panel on the "Manage themes" tab, you have two
> > I think it would be more natural if these two were part of the same
> screen, but I'm struggling to understand exactly how that would work
> visually. I'd like to retain the idea that you can work on multiple files
> and that you can save all files at once or revert your changes before
> saving.
>
> What we're trying to create here is essentially an in browser theming
> IDE. The control panel doesn't really seem the right place for it -
> you want to use all of the space available and once we have CMSUI I
> don't think it will work terribly well in an overlay. Once we have a
> theme debugger it would be good to integrate that too...

It can take up the full width. I think the control panel is the appropriate
place for it right now. Maybe with p.a.cmsui it needs to be tweaked a bit,
but actually I think this is the type of use case p.a.cmsui is going to have
to be able to accommodate.

> If this IDE was completely independent of the Plone UI then using
> something like YUI or jQueryUI wouldn't be a problem. I imagine it
> would be a simple three panel thing with a tree view file manager on
> the left, a tabbed editor in the main panel, and on the bottom a panel
> to show the results of executing the transform or display the log from
> the diazo compiler.

It's jQuery based now with a few plugins (filetree, prompt, etc). Those
resources are deliberately not in portal_css/portal_javascripts, and clearly
we can use more libraries if we warrant.

Martin