[Plone-UI] UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 14:34:34 UTC 2011

On 11 September 2011 22:58, Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, these two views are separate. When you edit an in-ZODB theme in the p.a.theming control panel on the "Manage themes" tab, you have two options: "Edit" and "Manage files".
> I think it would be more natural if these two were part of the same screen, but I'm struggling to understand exactly how that would work visually. I'd like to retain the idea that you can work on multiple files and that you can save all files at once or revert your changes before saving.

What we're trying to create here is essentially an in browser theming
IDE. The control panel doesn't really seem the right place for it -
you want to use all of the space available and once we have CMSUI I
don't think it will work terribly well in an overlay. Once we have a
theme debugger it would be good to integrate that too...

If this IDE was completely independent of the Plone UI then using
something like YUI or jQueryUI wouldn't be a problem. I imagine it
would be a simple three panel thing with a tree view file manager on
the left, a tabbed editor in the main panel, and on the bottom a panel
to show the results of executing the transform or display the log from
the diazo compiler.

Laurence