[Plone-UI] UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:58:40 UTC 2011

Hi UI folks,

As previously discussed, I've been working on improving the p.a.theming
experience through in-Plone tools for editing theme HTML, CSS and rules.xml
files.

Most of the back end and JavaScript is now working, but I'm struggling to
decide how to integrate two aspects of the UI:

1) A file manager

This is the newest component. It looks like this. The file manager works as
you'd expect, and you can upload files, create new ones, delete, rename and
so on (though there's no copy/paste/move support at this stage).

[image: Screen Shot 2011-09-11 at 22.45.36.png]

2) An editor based on the Cloud9 ACE editor.

[image: Screen Shot 2011-09-11 at 22.46.29.png]

In the editor, you can choose a file to edit and it is loaded from the
server when first requested. Changes are mirrored to a hidden <textarea />
per file, all of which are submitted and saved when you click "Save".

Currently, these two views are separate. When you edit an in-ZODB theme in
the p.a.theming control panel on the "Manage themes" tab, you have two

I think it would be more natural if these two were part of the same screen,
but I'm struggling to understand exactly how that would work visually. I'd
like to retain the idea that you can work on multiple files and that you can
save all files at once or revert your changes before saving.

Is anyone able to suggest / mock up a way to do this?

If you want to test it, simply check out this branch and build (if you have
an existing checkout, be sure to update extras/plone.resource as well as the
src/ directory):

   https://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.app.theming/branches/optilude-ace

Cheers,
Martin