[Plone-UI] [Plone-developers] Theme Distribution

Jon Stahl jonstahl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 02:51:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Ross Patterson <me at rpatterson.net> wrote:
> Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com>
> writes:
>
>> On 9 September 2011 00:08, Ross Patterson <me at rpatterson.net> wrote:
>>

>>     What about versioning themes then?  Wouldn't we have to reinvent a
>>     bunch
>>     of wheels if we don't use eggs?
>>
>> People know how to version zip files - just append a filename. ;-)
>>
>> The point here is that it's completely unreasonable to expect someone
>> whose skills are in HTML and CSS only to:
>>
>>  - create a python package
>>  - put the right files + manifest in the right places
>>  - use buildout to create a develop egg
>>  - upload to pypi
>>
>> and then for users of those themes
>>
>>  - use buildout to install the egg
>>
>> We think it is reasonable for those people to mange zip files through
>> a control panel on a running Plone site and possibly to extract some
>> files on the filesystem.
>
> Um, I'm asking questions trying to ferret out future complications and
> interactions, *not* propose we subject themers to what you list above.
> Let me be clear, I think it would be a bad idea.  I do, however, think
> the issue of versioning is worth considering a bit more than just
> dismissing this way.
>
> Do themes ever depend on stuff (resources?) from other themes?

I've not seen or heard of such a theme.  I think this would be a
pretty horrible practice.

> Do themes ever depend on something from another theme that was only added
> or was removed after a certain point in the release history of that
> other theme?

Again, I don't think I've ever seen this in the wild, and it is IMHO
something that should be strongly discouraged.

> Do theme consumers/users need to have explicit but
> somewhat automatic upgrades of themes?  IOW, discovery of new theme
> releases but also being able to control that explicitly?

I think this is debatable.  My inclination is "probably yes" but then
again, I can't think of a case where I've seen a theme upgrade that I
wouldn't want to deploy.

> If any of those answers are yes, then it may be worth it to *use* eggs
> to distribute themes but wrap the creation, distribution, retrieval, and
> installation of them such that the user is isolated.  If any of those
> answers are yes, then this option should certainly be discussed
> further.

$0.02,
jon