[Plone-UI] [Plone-developers] Theme Distribution

Ross Patterson me at rpatterson.net
Fri Sep 9 21:48:30 UTC 2011

Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com>
writes:

> On 9 September 2011 00:08, Ross Patterson <me at rpatterson.net> wrote:
>

>     What about versioning themes then?  Wouldn't we have to reinvent a
>     bunch
>     of wheels if we don't use eggs?
>
> People know how to version zip files - just append a filename. ;-)
>
> The point here is that it's completely unreasonable to expect someone
> whose skills are in HTML and CSS only to:
>
>  - create a python package
>  - put the right files + manifest in the right places
>  - use buildout to create a develop egg
>  - upload to pypi
>
> and then for users of those themes
>
>  - use buildout to install the egg
>
> We think it is reasonable for those people to mange zip files through
> a control panel on a running Plone site and possibly to extract some
> files on the filesystem.

Um, I'm asking questions trying to ferret out future complications and
interactions, *not* propose we subject themers to what you list above.
Let me be clear, I think it would be a bad idea.  I do, however, think
the issue of versioning is worth considering a bit more than just
dismissing this way.

Do themes ever depend on stuff (resources?) from other themes?  Do
themes ever depend on something from another theme that was only added
or was removed after a certain point in the release history of that
other theme?  Do theme consumers/users need to have explicit but
somewhat automatic upgrades of themes?  IOW, discovery of new theme
releases but also being able to control that explicitly?

If any of those answers are yes, then it may be worth it to *use* eggs
to distribute themes but wrap the creation, distribution, retrieval, and
installation of them such that the user is isolated.  If any of those
answers are yes, then this option should certainly be discussed
further.

Ross