[Plone-UI] Theme Distribution

Rok Garbas rok.garbas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 04:36:06 UTC 2011

On 09/09/11 01:39, Alex Clark wrote:
> On 9/8/11 7:21 PM, David Glick wrote:
>> On 9/8/11 4:08 PM, Ross Patterson wrote:
>>> Martin Aspeli<optilude+lists at gmail.com>

>>> What about versioning themes then?  Wouldn't we have to reinvent a bunch
>>> of wheels if we don't use eggs?
>>>
>> Perhaps themes should be distributed as eggs to PyPI/plone.org, but
>> plone.org should be smart enough to recognize that they are themes and
>> provide a download of just the zip for installation.
>

> This is *exactly* what I was thinking. But that's different than what
> Martin and elro want (IIUC). I'm +1000 on this, as I'd much rather spend
> the time making PSC do the right thing with theme packages vs.
> reinventing the upload/versioning wheel.

i would say if that zip doesn't contain python code we shouldn't
complicate life for designers/themers and make them learn how to create
eggs and pushing them to pypi/plone.org ... everybody knows how to
create zip file, it think thats how designers work anyway :) even for
the price that we have to come up with something new.

to put it otherwise ... we should make plone approachable as much as we
can to designers/themers, not the other way around. the goal is to have
more themes, right?

p.s. is "themers" even a word?