[Plone-UI] [Plone-developers] Should we integrate ACE into p.a.theming?

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Tue Sep 6 22:34:34 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 9/6/11 6:07 PM, Jon Stahl wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Martin Aspeli<optilude+lists at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 6 September 2011 23:00, Jon Stahl<jonstahl at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> As I suspected. But, I see this as problematic, since I think many new
>>> users will approach this with the first use-case of wanting to tweak
>>> an existing canned theme with their logo + other small changes, not
>>> start from scratch and/or upload a Zip (which they'd get from where?).
>>
>> I actually think more people will install themes as zip files than fiddle
>> with buildout and eggs. If you're not a developer, running buildout is
>> scary. At least that's the basis of the thinking behind the zip file
>> resource format.
>
> OK, I see your (and David's) point... and agree that it makes sense.
> I guess I was thinking too old-skool. ;-)   So, we need to start
> educating Diazo theme builders that packaging themes as Zips rather
> than as eggs is now "new best practice."

Indeed. I tried to do this with the "Diazo theming sprint" a few months
back. And several folks followed the "mentioning the zip file first"
pattern. E.g.

- http://plone.org/products/plonetheme.earthlingtwo

But the controversial part was: I put the zips inside a Python package
because that struck me as the most logical thing to do. It struck other
folks as the opposite. The logic was based almost entirely on one thing:
easy distribution. If I create a zip inside a Python package, I can use
existing tools to publish it (i.e. mkrelease). If not, I'd have to
upload TTW (which I ended up doing anyway to quell complaints).

Anyway, in the real world, with elro's resource directory feature in
p.r.zope2instance, I suspect *just zips* has at least a fighting chance
to catch on. It would stand a better chance if we built a new place to
upload them (e.g. an overhauled PSC perhaps integrated with thememanager[1])

Alex

[1] https://github.com/collective/collective.thememanager

--
Alex Clark · http://aclark.net