[Plone-UI] [Plone-developers] Should we integrate ACE into p.a.theming?

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 22:03:47 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 6 September 2011 23:00, Jon Stahl <jonstahl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On 6 September 2011 21:40, Jon Stahl <jonstahl at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I used buildout to install several of the recent Plone 4.1 Diazo
> >> themes from http://plone.org/products.  The themes loaded up just fine
> >> and I can activate them.
> >
> > In this case they're on the filesystem (or more likely, in eggs).
> > If you'd just uploaded zip files into the control panel, you could've
> edited
> > them.
> >

> As I suspected. But, I see this as problematic, since I think many new
> users will approach this with the first use-case of wanting to tweak
> an existing canned theme with their logo + other small changes, not
> start from scratch and/or upload a Zip (which they'd get from where?).

I actually think more people will install themes as zip files than fiddle
with buildout and eggs. If you're not a developer, running buildout is
scary. At least that's the basis of the thinking behind the zip file
resource format.

>  Is editing stuff on the filesystem straight-out impossible?  (Perhaps
> copying it into the ZODB first?)

If the theme is in a filesystem resource directory, it's not too hard.

If the theme is in an egg, it's impossible (or at least a really bad idea).

I think a better approach might be a "create a copy" button and let you edit
that.

Martin