[Plone-UI] [Plone-developers] Should we integrate ACE into p.a.theming?

Jon Stahl jonstahl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 03:36:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 September 2011 18:11, Rok Garbas <rok.garbas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/09/11 17:14, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > It turns out to be really easy to integrate ACE, a code editor, into
>> > Plone, and use it to edit content in a resource directory.
>> >

>> +1 on idea, something like that was already in Deliverance and was
>> extremely convenient on few occasions.
>
> Okay, I've implemented this on this branch:
>   https://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.app.theming/branches/optilude-ace
> I think it works pretty well. Before we merge, I'd like a bit of feedback,
> though:
>  - I'd like some UI feedback - some of this is a bit rough around the edges.
> UI list CC'd.
>  - I'd like some UI help. ;-) Someone with more front end skills than me
> could probably make it a lot more user friendly.
>  - What do we want the default theme skeleton to be?
>  - What file operations do we need in the editor? I'm loth to support full
> create/delete/copy/move/rename/upload for arbitrary files, but maybe we need
> it? Is there something we can steal for this without having to invent a ton
> of UI? Right now, it supports edit only, which may be OK for simple use
> cases.
> Cheers,
> Martin

This is really excellent.  Here are my initial bits of feedback, in no
particular order:

1) When saving a file, I'm returned to a blank screen.  I expected to
be returned to the file I am editing.
2) The "dirty" asterisk seems to get set when you simply load a file
in the editor, before you even make any changes.  I expected it to
only be set when I actually make a change to the file.
3) I was surprised to not be able to edit existing third-party themes
I'd loaded into my test site.  I'd think that tweaking an existing
canned theme would be one of the most-requested use-cases for this
capability.
4) Following on the previous point... I do think we should probably
try to do full create/delete/rename/upload (maybe not copy/move) file
support for at least images, CSS and JS.  Think if I want to use an
existing theme, but add my own logo.  :-)
5) If anyone ever gets around to properly tackling the "banjo" concept
for point-and-click Diazo rule building, this control panel would be
the obvious place to bolt it on. ;-)
6) I wanted to be able to rename my finished theme from "Jon Test"
7) I wasn't sure what commands are available in the editor; I
discovered https://github.com/ajaxorg/ace/wiki/Default-Keyboard-Shortcuts,
but wished there was a link to it somewhere (or its contents were
reproduced).

More as I think of it.  I think folks are going to LOVE this.  I'd
love to see this approach used for all our "TTW code editing" features
in the future.

:jon