[Plone-UI] [Plone-developers] Improvement proposal for Plone and theming

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Wed May 25 07:22:43 UTC 2011

On 25 May 2011 07:26, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although Geir proposal sounds good, it is a big change. I don't mind
> it at all, but to solve the immediate problem, all that needs to be
> done IMO is to make sure that the CSS and JS involved in editing and
> menues are in separate files from the CSS that deals with the content
> looks. As it is now, you either have to include public.css, which
> means you need to override a lot and often use !important, or you have
> to find all the relevant parts and copy them into your own CSS.
>
> So for me, the first step would be splitting public.css into
> public.css and loggedin.css. Someone said Diazo solved 70% of the
> theming problem. A split like this would move it to 90%. :-)

I think that's true if your site has three columns and a fat header
and a footer.

It's not true when you have designs that are quite significantly
different from stock Plone, where the problem isn't just keeping the
existing CSS and avoiding conflict with the theme's CSS, but the very
placement of the editing controls in relation to the rest of the page,
and the impact that placement has on the design.

There's a reason virtually all other CMS' have some kind of separation
of the editing GUI and the rendered page. :)

Martin