[Plone-UI] Theming for both the anonymous and authenticated users

Geir Bækholt plone at baekholt.com
Wed Jun 29 11:58:38 UTC 2011

On 20-06-2011 02:24, Joe Bigler wrote:
> I have created a theme.  I started out by styling the pages without being
> logged in.  When I switch to logged in mode, the various pages the editors
> will see are broken apart.  Am I doing something wrong?  I see that when I
> use the out of the box themes, such as Plone Classic or Sunburst, they look
> fine in the authenticated mode and the anonymous user mode.  I don't see
> special CSS for each of the different pages in the authenticated mode. Is
> there a recommended way of dealing with this?  I am currently working on a
> Plone theme based on Sunburst in Plone 4.  The page will be fixed width,
> 960px.  The Sunburst theme isn't fixed so I am wondering if I should use
> something else.  I would like to use a table-less theme so I chose Sunburst.
> I haven't seen anything written on this.  If someone can point me to this
> information, I would really appreciate it.

This is a challenge with Plone as it is today.

There are 2 common approaches to this:
1) Build your theme with attention to how it will work for logged-in
users, making sure not to break any functionality. This makes for a good
experience, but may be hard to do with complex themes or if you are
unfamiliar with Plone theming.

2) Serve default Plone theme to logged-in users instead of your themed
site. (there should be documentation available for this)

We are currently working hard on making a better story for this exact
problem, with the work we are doing in plone.app.cmsui. This will likely
(i hope) be shipped with Plone 5.

--
Geir Bækholt
www.jarn.com/baekholt