[Plone-UI] Improving CMSUI toolbar w/metadata + edit bar + notifications

Rob Gietema rob at fourdigits.nl
Fri Jul 29 15:17:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 9:06 PM, Alex Limi <limi at plone.org> wrote:

> I moved the global actions to the site bar, added metadata panel on the
> right, notification bar on the bottom, and tightened up the space usage a
> bit (although we probably want to add a few more pixels). I also added more
> icons to the item=specific bar see how it scales:
>
> [image: Screen%20shot%202011-07-17%20at%2023.08.58.png]
>
> This look really nice, I like the structure, site config and user on the
right. I'm not sure the "add new..." is in the right location, somehow it
should stand out more, not sure how tho. The metadata doesn't feel right
like this, the rest of the ui is nice and clean and this is more like "wall
of text". I like the status messages, but I think the default "yellow" for
info, "orange" for warning and "red" for error works better. It would also
be nice if we can somehow fit the messages inside menu, the problem with
putting the messages below the menu is that it might overlap with links in
the website.

With the visual editor / Deco tile UI, it could look something like this
> (again, don't read too much into the implementation of the buttons):
>
> [image: Screen%20shot%202011-07-17%20at%2023.10.10.png]

I think the menu is way too high like this, I prefer to use a "floating,
stick to tile, stay in viewport"-toolbar. The second toolbar will need to
change to "save", "cancel", "pageproperties", "add tile" etc when editing
using Deco.

> …and as a final experiment, here's how it could look with a single-line UI
> — didn't add all the icons, but you get the point:
>
> [image: Screen%20shot%202011-07-17%20at%2021.56.19.png]
>
> +10 for this setup, this saves a lot of space. What I do like to have is
the icons for all the actions. The status info is a lot better like this,
maybe even use gray text to make it different from the clickable actions.

Some general feedback:
- will we stick with blue or change it to black like some of the screenshots
which have been made?
- do we want a style applied to the button when it is pressed and that
overlay is active?

--
Rob