[Plone-UI] Improving CMSUI toolbar w/metadata + edit bar + notifications

Geir Bækholt plone at baekholt.com
Wed Jul 20 21:47:21 UTC 2011

On 20-07-2011 01:41, Dan Jacka wrote:
> 1) I hope we keep the existing workflow dropdown.
> Click-'State'-for-dropdown,-click-new-state-name to change workflow state
> works very well. A list of colour-coded available states is much easier to
> deal with than the 'Change state' radio buttons + comments + dates, even if
> they are in an overlay form.

Personally, i think the quick-change menu we have today is overrated. In
my experience, it makes the lives of plone-developers click-testing
empty sites easier. It does not, however help real users.
They first need information about workflows in the learning phase. We
can help them better with more screen real estate.
Then they need the ability to do good workflow practices and use
changenotes/comments etc. — Which we can also encourage with more screen
real estate.

I still think Alex is right: we don't neccesarily have to increase the
number of clicks. We can do this without radiobuttons and forms if we
think a bit about how we design it.

I have some ideas. I'll try to make a mockup of how this could work.

I have to admit i have not thought about ways to represent multiple
workflows in the UI.
--
Geir Bækholt
www.jarn.com/baekholt