[Plone-UI] Improving CMSUI toolbar w/metadata + edit bar + notifications

Alex Limi limi at plone.org
Wed Jul 20 06:46:08 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM, sisi nutt <pudsah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice work sir!

Thanks!

> I'd have a bit more breathing room for all the text top and bottom.

Yes, me too. This was a quick prototype, lots of stuff that needs a bit more
whitespace and alignment.

> I really like the wee inline icons at the top. Not so much the design of
> the icons, just that they are there for quick scanning.

Yes, they help anchor the options.

> There is not much space for the breadcrumbs, you and Geir talked about
> that right? What was the conclusion?

If the breadcrumbs end up taking too much space (also note that most people
won't have the Site Config link, and I'd personally like to put it in the
menu under the person's name), we can shorten them using JS and have an
expandable "…" in the middle.

> I like the notification bar, but I think the grey might get lost. It's
> annoying if you don't notice a delete notification for instance.

Yeah, gray is only for "Info" level notifications, not warnings or errors.
But I do want to pull the notifications into the blue bar to ensure that we
don't overlay content. This was an experiment, and I want to do a better
version.

> To further Laurence's question below about screen real estate: does
> the bar stay persistent at the top of the screen when scrolling? And
> if so, can it just be the edit functions, when in edit mode?

Yeah, we could scroll the non-edit related things off the screen, good idea.
We had that behavior in one of the first versions of Deco, the format bar
would scroll up, but then attach itself to the top of the viewport.

> It could be nice though to see a mockup with a slimmed down mainbar
> with inline icons. Would there still be enough space for the meta
> data?

Yes, I included the metadata in the last screenshot. Shouldn't be a problem
overall, we can also leave out the labels in a lot of cases.

--
Alex Limi · +limi <http://profiles.google.com/limi> · @limi · limi.net