[Plone-UI] Improving CMSUI toolbar w/metadata + edit bar + notifications

Alex Limi limi at plone.org
Wed Jul 20 06:38:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Dan Jacka <danjacka at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) I hope we keep the existing workflow dropdown.
> Click-'State'-for-dropdown,-click-new-state-name to change workflow state
> works very well. A list of colour-coded available states is much easier to
> deal with than the 'Change state' radio buttons + comments + dates, even if
> they are in an overlay form.

The goal is to make this just as efficient. Don't mistake what's currently
in the workflow overlay with the final version. Having large click targets
and shortcuts where possible should make this just as efficient, if not more
so.

> 2) The workflow tool supports multiple workflows but you have to roll your
> own UI to get at any state variable other than the default (review_state).
> Seems like CMSUI is a perfect opportunity to add UI support for multiple
> workflows OOTB. Martin's 'hidden gems' article
> (http://www.martinaspeli.net/articles/dcworkflows-hidden-gems) illustrates
> how useful such a capability might be.

Yes, it's a good thing to keep in mind, and something we should be better at
supporting eventually. It's definitely a niche feature, so it'll come later.
That doesn't mean I don't think we should support it well — I'd love to have
separate translation workflow that is independent of publishing workflow,
for instance.

So, simpler and more complex please. ;-)

That's how we roll — simpler *and* more powerful than the competition. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Alex Limi · +limi <http://profiles.google.com/limi> · @limi · limi.net