[Plone-UI] Improving CMSUI toolbar w/metadata + edit bar + notifications

Geir Bækholt plone at baekholt.com
Tue Jul 19 07:00:19 UTC 2011

On 18-07-2011 23:33, Laurence Rowe wrote:
> Without the collapse/expand I do fear that the current design with icons
> will be too high for those with non-Mac laptops without high res screens. If
> icons for the main button bar are desired then I think we should seriously
> consider the inline icons of the top bar for the main bar.

I am not married to the expand/collapse-button. If we can find efficient
ways of using the UI without having to click too many buttons, i think
that will probably improve the experience.

As for the vertical space, a possible option is to have a personal
preference to switch to a more compact bar when you are past the
demo/learning stage.

> I'm not sure what moving the workflow colour indication away from the
> workflow button gains us, it  just seems to use  up a lot of space.

Moving all the metadata away from the buttons gives us more clarity as
to what is metadata and what is buttons. The buttons also get better
descriptions.

For example i just realised that in a new site, the permissions button
would have the label "admin", which would be terribly confusing to a new
user.

--
Geir Bækholt
www.jarn.com/baekholt