[Plone-UI] Improving CMSUI toolbar w/metadata + edit bar + notifications

Geir Bækholt plone at baekholt.com
Mon Jul 18 22:12:40 UTC 2011

On 18. juli 2011, at 21:06, Alex Limi wrote:

> I've done a pass at improving the grouping and display of the toolbar and related stuff, and I'm starting to get pretty happy with it. Did this as an HTML prototype, so I'm aware that not everything lines up pixel-perfect, but should be a decent representation.
> As a reminder, here's current CMSUI:

Thanks! Useful suggestions. My feedback inline.

> I moved the global actions to the site bar, added metadata panel on the right, notification bar on the bottom, and tightened up the space usage a bit (although we probably want to add a few more pixels). I also added more icons to the item=specific bar see how it scales:

The undo feature is something we all want, but it takes a bunch of infrastructure investment, so we cannot include it with this. I assume its inclusion here is just meant as an example of a notification, and not an assumption of the feature. If it is a notification, i'd like it to look more "present" and less blending into the background. If the site underneath runs sunburst, this notification will blend into the site, and not with the menu.  The placement of it works great. Will it also work with a longer message?

I think the tightening up helped a lot. Perhaps a little bit too eager? (those few pixels you mentioned, probably) :-)

I think listing the metadata separately works a lot better than as labels. — But i'd like to separate it better visually, probably with a vertical line or a separate box or something.
We don't have timedeltas yet, so until we get that implemented in a general way, we need to use absolute dates. I want the timedeltas too! Can we find a volunteer?

Workflow coloring works great.  I would, however, like to have the color for "published" to be the 'default' scheme (no background, white text) as there is no need to signal a call for action. Private and pending should still have backgrounds.

I am not yet convinced that moving the "site" buttons to the top bar is the right thing to do. But — i don't have a much better proposal for a place to put them either. It feels like this part needs a bit more rethinking. You are making us move in the right direction, but i still think we have  a bit to go before we have found the perfect solution for it.

> With the visual editor / Deco tile UI, it could look something like this (again, don't read too much into the implementation of the buttons):

Yeah. Agree. We need better-looking buttons, but the bar can easily work in something close to this way. There is still also the option of floating menus if there is a good implementation that works.
We have to consider whether the main bar should be disabled while editing. This is the same thing as when using the "structure" overlay. It may be confusing and disruptive to have both active at the same time.
We should perhaps also consider using a different color style for the editing bar.

> …and as a final experiment, here's how it could look with a single-line UI — didn't add all the icons, but you get the point:

This works really well. I assume this is the version most will be using after a while. I still like the demo-value/discoverability of the icons. Plone needs a bit more graphics.
— But having the non-icon view available as a personal preference is a good option.

--
Geir Bækholt