[Plone-UI] Improving CMSUI toolbar w/metadata + edit bar + notifications

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 21:33:47 UTC 2011

Alexander Limi wrote:

> I've done a pass at improving the grouping and display of the toolbar and
> related stuff, and I'm starting to get pretty happy with it. Did this as
> an
> HTML prototype, so I'm aware that not everything lines up pixel-perfect,
> but
> should be a decent representation. The goal was to avoid the
> collapse/expand
> all the time, and surface relevant information as part of the UI.
>
> As a reminder, here's current CMSUI:
>
> [image: Screen%20shot%202011-07-17%20at%2023.13.08.png]
>

> I moved the global actions to the site bar, added metadata panel on the
> right, notification bar on the bottom, and tightened up the space usage a
> bit (although we probably want to add a few more pixels). I also added
> more
> icons to the item=specific bar see how it scales:
>
> [image: Screen%20shot%202011-07-17%20at%2023.08.58.png]
>

> With the visual editor / Deco tile UI, it could look something like this
> (again, don't read too much into the implementation of the buttons):
>
> [image: Screen%20shot%202011-07-17%20at%2023.10.10.png]
>

> …and as a final experiment, here's how it could look with a single-line UI
>> didn't add all the icons, but you get the point:
>
> [image: Screen%20shot%202011-07-17%20at%2021.56.19.png]
>
> Feedback welcome. :)

Without the collapse/expand I do fear that the current design with icons
will be too high for those with non-Mac laptops without high res screens. If
icons for the main button bar are desired then I think we should seriously
consider the inline icons of the top bar for the main bar.

I'm not sure what moving the workflow colour indication away from the
workflow button gains us, it  just seems to use  up a lot of space.

I think a dismissable full width notification bar like Firefox / Chrome
would work better as the iframe has to be full width anyway. (And you can't
sneak undo back in so easily ;)

Any reason for the more button to open up a dialogue box (presumably from
the ellipsis) rather than a dropdown menu/bubble? The dropdown menu/bubble
could even open on hover.

What would it look like when you don't have editing permissions for the
context? This might not be known on initial page load, only once the edit
bar iframe is loaded.

Laurence