[Plone-UI] Custom CSS for different portlet types?

Veda Williams veda at onenw.org
Wed Feb 25 18:02:07 UTC 2009

It sounds like you've started working through the ZMI to do skinning, which
is an OK place to start until you get the concepts down. You will have
trouble moving things around via the ZMI, at which point you should start
looking at filesystem development.

In the meantime... Rene is correct in saying that this can be done trivially
using only CSS and the CSS hooks that Plone portlets give you by default.
Make the changes to your ploneCustom.css, make sure that your portal_css is
in debug mode (
http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/how-to-make-your-css-changes-take-effe
ct-instantly), and you should see the updates.

There's no need for variables / calling of CSS, etc. Plone already knows
about ploneCustom.css, so it should be pretty straightforward.

I'm somewhat biased, but there's a great theming chapter in the new
Practical Plone book if you need some step-by-step assistance:

http://www.packtpub.com/practical-plone-3-beginners-guide-to-building-powerf
ul-websites/

Cheers,

- Veda